Thursday, June 11, 2009

Exploring Databases

I wish I had a clever "Star Trek: The Next Generation" reference for my title this week. . .

I guess I'll stick to a plain old analysis (see below).

For once, I read all of the database background materials on the 23 Things wiki. I think the articles helped me understand how people view databases as a search tool and the challenges that librarians face when most people go straight to search engines.

The “23 Things” post instructed us to peruse three databases that are unfamiliar with and write up our reactions. I chose the Auto Repair Reference Center, Reference USA, and The Grove Dictionary of Art. I consider myself familiar the process of conducting a query in databases, so I looked at the aforementioned databases with a different purpose: to explore their library and web 2.0 features. During my search, I also discovered how some of the databases could be useful for certain patrons and their search requests.

First, I looked at the Grove Dictionary of Art. I saw that the creators spent a long period of time perfecting the searching process. There were many filtering/narrowing options and different ways to organize the search results. All of this attention made it easy to find information on any term that I typed into the box. I felt disappointed by the way it presented images though. I thought that I could find a few Web 2.0 features in a database devoted to images. I did not find anything special about the dictionary, though. The only advanced viewing option for images dealt with the ability to enlarge a thumbnail visual. I think that they could add some neat effects such as the ability to view the objects from different angles – if in 3D- or a zoom feature to see a painting up close. I think adding a tagging option would also help. I also felt surprised when I searched for terms such as “silkscreen” and “woodblock” and got a list of artist biographies instead of images. I learned that you have to narrow the search and specify that you want images. Maybe I expected too much out of the online dictionary. . . .

Next, I checked out the Reference USA database. Although I felt disappointed at first to discover that I had to limit my search to US business and residents only, I ended up being pleased with what I found anyway. I had fun by searching for where my mom and my boyfriend work. The amount of detail in the business profile was impressive. I also used the residential features to look up my cousin’s address. During the residential search, I found a mapping option and that presented a mashup map comvining information from Google Maps as well as Reference USA. Do mashups count as a Web 2.0 feature? Anyway, The site claims that market researchers as well as job searchers could use this database. Since we get a fair number of job seekers in the computer center, I can mention this as an additional source of information. I also realzed that I could recommend this site to a certain patron who comes to use our computers mostly to find contact information for small businesses located all around the country, Usually, I recommend the white pages and yellow pages online, but sometimes the information is not there. Hopefully I can remember this database when he comes in next time and we can find out if it has the information that he needs.

Finally, I searched the Auto Repair Reference Center. I was impressed by how easy it was to navigate the website. I noticed though that there were many technical terms that I did not understand and it was difficult to conduct a random search; one needs precise information to use this database. I would hesitate to offer this database as an information source unless the patron knew what he or she needed and if he/she had enough information to search. Surprisingly, after finding most of the results as embedded PDF files, the creators added a Flash media option under the “Auto IQ” tab where one can view and listen to information on specific parts of an automobile: neat! Is the use of Flash considered a part of web/ library 2.0? Other than the discovery of the Flash feature, the database seemed pretty bland.


I spent a few hours exploring and searching three databases for the 23 Things exercise this week. Even though I don’t work with the databases often or deal with people who do, I know their research value. Online databases were a part of my college research experience from 2001-2004. In fact, during my freshman year, I had a few class sessions taught by one of the librarians and they covered how to search the databases including how to find a database tailored to a specific subject, what types of keywords to use, how to narrow your search, and explaining the differences among the various ones. The librarians also discussed the use of databases in conjunction with search engines as research tools. They did not completely outlaw They told me and my classmates Those introductory sessions made a difference in how I went about conducting research for my papers. Thank you liberal arts college!

I mention this memory because I’ve been thinking why it is difficult to draw users to databases as a primary search tool. One of the reasons that they are not used is people do not know that they exist or, if they know that they exist, they may not understanding the purpose of the databases. I wish it were possible to take groups of people and train them how to use our databases like what I experienced in college. My classmates could not use the excuse that they did not know that the databases existed, because all freshmen were subject to the lecture early on in their college careers. I think it would be nice if new patrons to the library could get exposed to the databases in the beginning of their Northland tour, but it will not work in a public library environment, especially one as large as Northland. Presently, I think using the start page of our library webpage to place a bi-weekly profile of a different database could be an advertisement option. The profile could serve as a way to make the databases more accessible by being in a prominent location and the profile could mention the types of searches that one can conduct with them. Hopefully, this can become a realisitic product in the near future.

1 comment:

  1. Awesome analysis! I think the use of video/Flash does count as being part of web 2.0 - look at how popular video is online in general! I'm guessing the popularity of YouTube and Hulu had to be an influence in their choice to add that feature to AutoRepair....

    Sometimes I wish all I did all day was promote these resources, make commercials, design promotional pieces, etc. Then I remember I would miss the reference desk...ah well...

    ReplyDelete