Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Delicious RSS

I’m such a bad worker. My time management skills are horrible. Instead of adding my reaction to 23 Things last week, I used time from last week time to edit my profile and add a picture. Now you see what my work priorites are:).

Better late than never, I suppose.

I decided to subscribe to the RSS feeds without watching the video clip beforehand, which was a mistake. I thought that I could figure out how to start with RSS by just going through the steps. I ended up having to go back and look at the information anyway, which took more time. So I learned a lesson: always take advantage of the materials that are available on the “23 Things” blog.

Now on to the process: first I subscribed to a few librarian blogs using Internet Explorer, which was a simple process. I felt a little worried at first because the steps were different what I had learned; with IE, you don’t have to copy and paste the blog URL somewhere or deal with embedded code. When I went back to check them the next day, the feeds were not on the computer. Instead of finding the same blogs and signing up again, I used the information from the video clip and signed up for a Bloglines account. I like how the feeds and the corresponding text are organized on the page; it’s easy to find the information. Even better, since I share my computer with co-workers, the websites that I follow can remain private unless I keep keep my account up and running.

Onto Delicious: I’ve always wanted to try it, so I was excited about getting the chance to use it.
The sign-up process was more detailed than I thought it would be though, and I felt a bit overwelmed by the end of it. I also felt a little nervous during step three when it asked you to install a Delicious toolbar. We tell patrons not to install programs on the public computers and I abide by that same idea. I did not feel comfortable installing anything on my staff computer even though I’m positive that the information is not harmful to the computer in any way. I just don’t want to leave a trace of my activities on a computer that I share with others. I had fun adding links, descriptions, and tags to my account. Unlike some people, I found writing the website descriptions harder than creating tags.

Overall, I can see how useful these features can be for people who visit many sites andneed an organizational took to process all of the information from those sites. I however, visit about six sites on a regular basis, so I don’t think that I need to use Delicious or a feed reader right now. It serves as a good learning experience for me though. Any kind of practice is good for me.

P.S. – another goal for this blog: I need to stop using “I” so much!

2 comments:

  1. What a great post! Use "I" as much as you want - it's YOUR blog, and your experience!

    And just think...even though these tools aren't the best for you, you'll be able to show them to patrons who might need them. You tried it, and now you'll be able to teach it. Win-win.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Blogs are all about the "I!" And I think 'we' learn from all those "I" experiences!

    ReplyDelete