Monday, May 11, 2009

Reaction to 23 Things

I've been working up the nerve to create a blog for a while now. I'm glad that the opportunity to participate in 23 Things came about since I feel more comfortable using a blog for work purposes rather than personal ones since I am a somewhat private person.

As for my reactions to 23 Things thus far, it's already challenged me by expanding my limits of comfort, which is good. I still feel uncomfortable writing about myself, but hopefully, it will get easier each week with practice.

I have a comment about the process for setting up this Blogger account: the part about entering an email address was confusing. From the front page, it seemed as if you needed to have a Gmail account to use it or create a Gmail account, but I entered a non-Gmail address into the first "blog set-up" box and Blogger accepted it. Everything else has been easy to follow!

After 23 Things is over, I hope to continue adding to this blog and integrate it into the library as an additional source of information for our patrons.

4 comments:

  1. Hey WaW

    So we forced you to create a blog! Yay! No worries about revealing too much; you decide what to share and what not to share. We're really interested in your experience and what you liked/didn't like.

    Thanks for comments about the confusion about the email. It does kind of get mixed-up there. You need a google account, which you can use any email for - we'll try to be clearer on that. Glad you figured it out.

    Looking forward to reading more about how this is going for you and eventually enjoying the blog as a patron!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What Kelley said - I think what people often forget with these tools is that we are never obligated to share more than we are comfortable sharing: if you wanted to keep the focus entirely business-like, when you start up your library's blog, that would be perfectly okay.

    Looking forward to your responses on future exercises...

    LAV

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you know that this was actually the first time it dawned on me that it didn't have to be a gmail or other already-associated-with-Google account? It's really poorly worded. It's not exactly like I'm a neophyte in the online world.

    So you're not alone there in being confused by that. I sat there and facepalmed over the many practice blogs I had created for varying reasons in the past, carefully creating or using a gmail account for each.

    doh.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hey look! I'm following yer blog! I love the profile picture. And totally what Kelley and Leigh Anne said. A blog doesn't have to be personal.

    ReplyDelete